Sunday, March 30, 2014

I *L O V E* The Uniqueness of Autism

 I love Levi exactly the way he is.

 I’m not saying I love all the challenges that necessarily have come along with it…but then again, doesn’t God say to count it all joy…Doesn’t He use even the difficult things in our life to produce character?
Romans 5:3 says, “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;” I know that the challenges and trials that Levi and the rest of us endure because of his special challenges will produce a beautiful "finished product" in us all. Those very things will cause us to be unique, fine and valuable people set aside for God's special purposes. God has made that promise to us.

 Levi has taught me that there is more to life than meets the eye. The gifts that people with Autism have would not exist without the Autism. Plain and simple. Did you know that you can actually bend  the stream of water coming out of a faucet? Neither did I, until Levi showed me one day. This day was a true awakening for me. It was when I realized that if I would take the time to enter into Levi’s world, I just may realize why he did some of the quirky things he does. It also helped us realize that his world wasn’t all doom and gloom either. Because a lot of the things that Autistic people do really are different and quirky, most of us fail to realize that there is a real reason they’re doing those repetitive behaviors, called stimming.

  So, Trevor and I came up with a Polder Family definition for Autism:

 Autism-  a unique circuitry of the brain, gifted to individuals, whom God has chosen to fulfill His purposes through those special talents and abilities that only Autistic individuals possess.
.
 I know, it probably won’t make it into a modern version of some well-known dictionary, but we needed to do this so that we could pin down, in a sentence, how we really feel about Autism.
   
 We first realized this concept when our son, Caleb, now 22, experienced serious reading difficulties as a child. I tried so hard to teach Caleb to read. I couldn’t understand why the same teaching techniques I had used for my other children simply wouldn’t work for Caleb. Keeping Caleb’s self-esteem intact through this process was very important to us, so we made sure that he understood that his inability to read had nothing to do with his intelligence. The fact that he was extremely intelligent couldn’t have been more obvious, since he had the ability to understand how anything electronic or mechanical (or pretty much anything) was put together and how it worked. We saw at a very early age that he was extremely gifted. Although we knew we would have to figure out the problem with reading, we kept a strong focus on his awesome talents and abilities. In the middle of trying to solve this mystery, we also kept the idea in the forefront that all children have a style of learning and that the problem we were encountering was really a problem with ourselves and less of a problem with him. The answer was going to be how to figure out his style of learning. Funny, because I didn’t totally understand this, but there was something in me that knew we were the key.

 Caleb is Dyslexic. Yes. It’s a sort of a label, but is that really all that bad? It’s just a tag we’ve put on an individual that’s mind thinks in a very different, detailed and intricate manner. Dyslexia can have negative challenges that can be hurdled. But more than that, it is a special gift that some people have been given by their Creator. And it is awesome. Caleb’s Dyslexia, given to him by God, has given him very unique abilities that many of us don’t possess. So many of us “major” only in certain areas. For him, it’s different. He has an uncanny understanding of how to make most anything work. It’s kind of “across the board”. If someone needs an amateur radio fixed…he can fix it. If we can’t figure out how to make an architectural design come together when we’re adding on to the back of the house…ask Caleb, because he can figure it out. I’m serious! And…we’ve given him a name for his multi-talented self, “Wonderboy” (affectionately J). With the proper training from Davis Dyslexia, we were able to identify the proper learning style that he needed, and were able to give Caleb the gift of reading. Caleb is an avid reader now and has been for many years. The details of how we arrived there is a delightful and inspiring story by itself that I hope to put in writing one day.

 Ok, so yes. Dyslexia and Autism are “very” different. But I think there are similarities in the way that God has chosen to allow the brain to develop differently with these persons. They are awesomely gifted and intelligent individuals that God designed this way for some super-duper special purpose.

 God made Levi just the way he is. Our job is to provide the most optimum learning environment that we possibly can, and in the process, to make sure that Levi knows without a shadow of a doubt that his family absolutely adores him and believes in him! God has a special purpose for Levi and I am genuinely excited to see how God’s plan’s unfold in his life. He already has brought so much depth and a new level of selflessness into our lives. He’s also given us a strong sense of determination. I thank God that he has blessed our family by allowing Levi to be a part of us.

 I’m not going to lie. I can't tell you how many times through the years I have watched Levi from a distance, and could not stop the tears from pouring down my face. I have dealt with so much grief trying to understand what it must be like for him to want so badly to express himself and not being able to utter even a single word. Try to imagine what it would be like. I cannot just settle with myself that Levi will always be like this. I’m going to believe that Levi can talk and I’m going to give him every opportunity if I have to move mountains to do it.

 What if God chooses for Levi to stay in a “low-functioning” state of Autism? What if he never talks? What if he never reads or picks flowers for me. What if he never runs from across the yard, yelling, “I love you, Mommy.”? Will it be because we didn’t believe enough? We didn’t pray hard enough…long enough? Maybe, we didn’t speak enough positive statements over him…or, maybe we caused him to be this way by speaking it into existence because we’ve dared to speak with our mouth, "Levi is Autistic.".

 Absolutely not!

 I will never believe anything other than the fact that nothing can happen to us in our life that doesn’t come through the Hand of God.

 Even when we don’t understand.

 We can trust.

That brings unbelievable comfort to my heart.


April is Autism Awareness month. I hope you’ll join us as we continue journaling through the month. We are getting closer and closer to our trip to Massachusetts in Mid-June and we are super excited to be making progress on our goal of raising the money for this trip and Levi’s therapy room.  We would be overwhelmingly grateful if you would consider donating to Levi’s campaign, which we have named “Levi’s Mountain”. You can donate securely through this blog by going to the top of his home page and clicking on "Donate".

Angela, Levi's Mommy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment